Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Frozen Key Lime Pie



This is by far the best key lime pie out there! It truly is so amazing. Whenever I eat this particular key lime pie I feel like I am Key West, Florida eating a magnificent treat. This is what I request every year for my birthday. It is that good, and now my husband is following in the same suit. He can't get enough of it either!

I got this recipe from Emily G. a lady that lived next door to me while in my teen years.

1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs (10 crackers) ( I actually usually use teddy grahams
1/4 c. sugar
6 T. unsalted butter, melted
6 ex.-lg. egg yolks (at room temp.)
1/4 c. sugar
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
2 T. grated lime zest
3/4 c freshly squeezed lime juice (4-5 limes)
1 c. (1/2 pt.) cold heavy cream
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
thin lime wedges

Preheat oven to 35o degrees. For the crust, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter in a bowl. Press into a 9 inch pie pan, making sure the sides and bottom are an even thickness. Bake for 10 minutes until firm and golden brown. Cook completely. For the filling, beat the egg yolks and sugar on high speed with electric mixer for 5 minutes until thick. With the mixer on medium speed, add the condensed milk, lime zest and lime juice.Pour into baked pie shell and freeze. For the topping, beat the heavy cream on high speed with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until firm. Spoon or pipe decoratively onto the pie and decorate with lime wedges. Freeze for several hours or overnight. (if you have concerns about raw eggs, combine the yolks with 1/2 cup of the lime juice used in the recipe in a double boiler. Whisk constantly over medium heat until the mixture reaches 140 degrees. Use in place of raw egg yolk, remembering to add the remaining 1/4 cup of lime juice to the filing mixture along with the condensed milk and zest.)

No comments:

Post a Comment